Excellent Old Master Paintings are still available. It is still possible to build a collection, and surprisingly, at relatively low cost. Compared to the huge prices modern and contemporary art are fetching, Old Masters may prove especially good value for money.
We offer Old Master Paintings for sale
- from private owners on consignment with Hoogsteder & Hoogsteder
- from the Hoogsteder & Hoogsteder Collection
- at auction houses around the world
However, buying an Old Master Painting requires expertise. Having successfully bought and sold Old Master paintings for over 50 years, Hoogsteder & Hoogsteder can offer reports on the painting’s
- quality (artistical, technical & esthetical)
- condition (damage to paint, canvas or panel. Extend of repairs & overpaint)
- art-historical context (subject matter, provenance, relevance of the painter and his oeuvre)
- price and value (present, past & future art market)
Buying at auction
Buying Old Master Paintings at auction is not a simple task. All the above knowledge is essential, on the spot and in the short amount of viewing time available. Willem Jan Hoogsteder visits Old Master sales personally. He inspects all paintings meticulously and at first hand. Free of charge he will answer any questions you have regarding authenticity and condition of Dutch and Flemish Old Masters in these sales.
For a profound purchase advice a success fee is charged of 15% of the total realised price at auction. When no purchase is made, advice will be free of charge.
If you would like to be informed when Willem Jan Hoogsteder visits an auction, please subscribe to our newsletter.